Fast Food Style Venison Burgers
This fast food burger recipe is easy to make and will please anyone and everyone. You can use this recipe to make 2 double cheeseburgers that are quite large, or you can use this same recipe for 4 regular 1/4 pound burgers. For a side dish, we buy frozen french fries to keep things easy.
- 1 pound ground venison – we prefer to use a grind that is mixed with fat from pork or beef
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Dill pickles, sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- American cheese slices
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp relish
- 1 Tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
- Divide meat into four equal ¼ pound patties and make them as thin as you possibly can, ideally about a ¼ inch thick. Season them with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a pan on medium and add the onions and salt. After a few minutes, once they are sizzling and start to get dry, stir them and add a tablespoon of water. Every 3-4 minutes, stir them and add another tablespoon of water. You want them to get browned, so don’t stir too often. Keep repeating the process with the onions while you do the next couple of steps until they are nice and brown and almost burnt looking, then set them aside in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix together
- Slice the tomato and wash and prepare the lettuce
- Put closed buns in preheated oven at 400 for 2 minutes and then turn it off. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the pan that the onions were in and once it is melted, gently press the buns into the pan to toast the insides. Once they are toasted, return them to the warm oven.
- Heat the pan to medium-high. Add the patties and immediately spread the mustard on top of them. Without moving them, cook for about 3 minutes until they are crusty and well cooked. Flip, add a slice of cheese to the top of each and cook 2 more minutes.
- Spread sauce on both buns, then assemble the burgers. Starting with the bottom bun, add 2-3 slices of pickles, one slice of tomato, lettuce, one patty, a spoonful of the onions (if doing a double burger then another patty and another spoonful of onions) then the top bun.